Breast Cancer Awareness Month (BCAM) is an annual international health campaign organized by major breast cancer charities every October to increase awareness of the disease.
- Breast cancer accounts for 3 in 10 cancer cases for women
- The most common cancers among women in the world
- Number 1 cancer death among Singapore women
- Lumps that can be felt
- Rashes or crusting
- Nipple discharge
- Skin irritation or dimpling
Detection: Breast cancer is usually detected through mammogram or breast ultrasound.
Women who need further testing for a breast lump may be sent for an ultrasound and it is use for the following reason:
- Determines if the lump is solid or is a cyst.
- Assess the cause of breast symptoms such as lump, swelling, breast pain.
- Provides additional information to other test such as a mammogram or breast MRI.
- Helps guide the placement of needles for procedures such as biopsy.